BRAISED POT ROAST WITH VIDALIA ONIONS
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Baking Time: 3 hours
· 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 4 pounds)
· Salt and pepper
· 3 tablespoons cornstarch
· 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
· 3 large sweet onions, such as Vidalia, peeled and cut in half crosswise
· 4 cups chopped carrots (I used baby carrots)
· 4 cups chopped, peeled potatoes, parsnips, or turnips, or combination of them (I used red potatoes)
1. Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 300 degrees.
2. Pat the roast dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper to taste. Place cornstarch in a shallow bowl. Dredge the roast in cornstarch and shake off excess.
3. Heat oil in 5- to 6-quart heavy casserole or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the roast and brown on both sides, 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from heat and transfer the roast to a plate. Place the onion halves, cut-side down, in bottom of the casserole dish. Place roast on top and add potatoes and carrots. Cover the dish.
4. Bake until tender and the juices have thickened, about 3 hours.
5. To serve, carefully remove roast and slice it. Arrange roast and vegetables on plate and spoon pan juices on top.