GLUTEN FREE CREAMY POTATO SOUP
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 1 ½ hours
· 4 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into medium pieces
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 1 small chopped onion
· 1 celery stalk, chopped
· 1 cup diced gluten-free ham (I used Cumberland Gap brand)
· 3-4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
· ½ cup heavy whipping cream
· Salt and pepper to taste
· 2 cups shredded Colby cheese
1. Boil potatoes over medium heat for 30-45 minutes, or until tender.
2. While potatoes are boiling, chop vegetables and heat oil in medium sized saucepan.
3. Cook onion, celery and ham in heated oil until onion is tender. Celery will be crisp, if you prefer celery soft, cook until desired tenderness.
4. Drain potatoes when tender and add 2 cups chicken broth and whipping cream. Mash well with potato masher or electric mixer. If you prefer large pieces of potato, reserve 2 cups of potatoes before mashing.
5. Add vegetables, ham and reserved potatoes (if using) to potato mixture. Salt and pepper to taste. Add additional 1-2 cups chicken broth, ½ cup at a time, to desired thickness. Add 1 cup cheese and stir well. Cook over low heat, stirring often, until heated through. Add additional cheese to soup once transferred to individual bowls.