GLUTEN FREE PIE CRUST
Makes: 3 9-inch crusts
Prep Time: 30 Minutes; chill 2 hours
· 2 lightly beaten large eggs
· 3 tablespoons iced water
· 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
· 16 ounces baking mix or pie crust mix
· ¼ teaspoon baking powder
· 10 tablespoons cold butter
· 6 ounces cold cream cheese
1. Combine the eggs, cold water and cider vinegar in a small bowl. Chill in refrigerator.
2. Combine baking mix and baking powder in large bowl.
3. Remove the butter and cream cheese from refrigerator. Cut the butter and cream cheese each into 10 pieces and place into bowl with the baking mix. Use a pastry blender or 2 knives to cut the butter and cream cheese into dry ingredients until the mixture is the size of small peas. This takes about 3 minutes. Pour the chilled egg mixture into the baking mix/butter/cream cheese mixture. Use a large spoon or your hands to mix ingredients and form dough.
4. Tear off three 12-inch pieces of plastic wrap and place on the counter. Divide the dough into 3 equal balls and place each ball onto a piece of plastic wrap. Press the balls into 6 inch disks and wrap in the plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or up to 3 days. You may also wrap each disk in freezer paper and place into freezer bags. Freeze for up to 6 months. Allow dough to thaw in refrigerator overnight or on counter for 1 hour.
5. To roll out, place a refrigerated disk on a 12 inch piece of parchment paper. Let dough come to room temperature, about 10 minutes. Work from the center with your hands to form a 12-inch circle for a 9 or 10-inch pie. You may also place a second piece of parchment paper on top and use a rolling pin.
6. Flip the dough onto a pie pan, center it, and peel off the parchment paper.
Use fingers to mold the dough into the pie pan. If the dough is too soft to mold, chill dough and pie pan in refrigerator for about 10 minutes. Use a knife to trim the crust so that it is about ¼ inch above the edge of the pan and then fold it over and press it together with a fork to seal it.
7. To prebake crust, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prick the bottom and sides of crust with a fork and bake 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown. Allow crust to cool before continuing with recipe.