MUSHROOM AND WILD RICE FRITTATA
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 50-70 Minutes
· 2 cups water
· ½ cup wild rice (Regular wild rice takes 40-50 minutes to cook. You may use quick cooking varieties that take 30 minutes or instant wild rice.
· 1/8 teaspoon salt
· 5 large eggs
· 2 large egg whites
· 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
· ½ teaspoon salt, divided
· ½ teaspoon pepper, divided
· ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
· 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
· 1 cup chopped red onion
· 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried
· 1 pound mixed mushrooms (cremini, white button, shiitake or what you have on hand), sliced
· ½ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
· 4 thin slices prosciutto (about 2 ounces), chopped (May substitute Canadian bacon or pancetta or other thin ham)
1. Combine rice, water and salt in small saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until rice is tender, about 40-50 minutes. Drain when done. If using quick cooking rice, prepare according to package directions.
2. Beat eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Add parsley, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper and nutmeg. Mix well.
3. Place oven rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler.
4. Heat oil in a 10-inch ovenproof skillet, preferably cast-iron, over medium heat. Add onion and remaining salt and pepper. Cook and stir until soft. Stir in rosemary and add mushrooms. Stir frequently until they release their liquid and the pan is dry, approximately 6-8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add rice. Stir to combine.
5. Pour egg mixture over vegetables and rice. Partially cover and cook until edges set, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan and prosciutto. Place pan in oven and broil until eggs are set and the top is nicely browned, about 2 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.