EGGPLANT AND PARMESAN ZUCCHINI LASAGNA
Makes: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 25 Minutes
Baking Time: 30-40 minutes
· 1 pound lean ground beef or turkey
· 26 ounces tomato pasta sauce
· 2 tablespoons red wine
· 2 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 teaspoon basil
· ½ cup olive oil (plus more if required)
· 3 large eggs
· Salt and pepper
· 1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced ¼ inch thick (1 to 1 ½ pounds)
· 1 large zucchini, sliced on diagonal ¼ inch thick (6-8 ounces)
· 3 cups of shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses, mixed
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. In medium pan, cook meat until no longer pink and drain grease. Add pasta sauce, garlic, red wine and basil. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
3. Heat oil in heavy frying pan over medium-high heat. Beat eggs in shallow dish and add salt and pepper to taste. Coat 2-3 pieces of eggplant in eggs and cook in oil until golden brown and puffy, about 1 minute per side. When done, transfer to plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with remaining eggplant and zucchini slices. Add more oil if needed and additional egg if required for coating.
4. Place ½ cup of sauce on bottom of 2-quart baking dish. Layer half of the eggplant and zucchini, half of remaining sauce and half of the cheese mixture. Repeat with remaining vegetables, sauce and cheese. Cover with foil and bake until the cheese is melted, 35-40 minutes. Remove the foil and let rest 5 minutes before serving.