GLUTEN FREE CHICKEN CACCIATORE
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
· 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (around 2 pounds)
· olive oil
· 3 cups sliced mushrooms (I use regular mushrooms, can use cremini)
· 1 sweet pepper, cut into small strips (I use a bell pepper which is what I usually have available)
· ½ cup finely chopped carrot
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· ½ cup GF chicken broth
· 28 oz diced tomatoes, drained
· 1 ½ cups frozen whole onions (I use jarred mini onions)
· 1 tsp dried oregano
· 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
· 10 Kalamata olives, pitted
· Fresh Italian parsley for garnish if desired
1. Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook in oil until just browned on both sides. Remove to a paper towel lined dish.
2. Cook mushrooms, sweet pepper, carrot and garlic in the skillet over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and simmer, uncovered until broth almost evaporated. Add tomatoes, onions, oregano and 1 tsp pepper.
3. Return chicken to skillet, cover and simmer about 20-25 minutes until chicken is no longer pink (180 degrees F). Stir in vinegar and add additional salt if desired. Garnish with olives and parsley if desired.