DOWN-HOME SAUSAGE GRAVY
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
· 16 oz breakfast sausage (not all sausage types are gluten free, so verify. We use Jimmy Dean brand regular sausage. See note below)
· 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
· 4 tablespoons cornstarch
· 2-12 oz cans Carnation Evaporated Milk
· 1 cup water
· ¼ teaspoon salt
· Hot pepper sauce to taste
· 8 gluten-free biscuits (Bisquick makes a gluten-free baking mix)
Companies with GF sausage options: Johnsonville, Farmland, AppleGate Farms, Armour, Bass Farms, Jones Dairy Farm, Wellshire Farms, Jimmy Dean
1. Combine sausage and onion in large skillet. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until sausage no longer pink. Do not drain fat.
2. Stir in cornstarch and mix well.
3. Slowly add evaporated milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Add water and salt. Continue to stir occasionally until gravy comes to a boil. Cook for about 2 minutes to thicken.
4. Serve over biscuits. Add hot pepper sauce to taste.