Prep Time: 45 Minutes to 2 hours
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
Rest : 20 Minutes
· 4-5 cups shredded chicken, roast your own or use rotisserie from store. May also use shredded beef or cheese only.
· 4 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
· 2 small onions finely chopped, reserving ½ cup
· 1 green bell pepper seeded and finely chopped
· 8 ounces chopped green chiles, drained
· 10 ounces mild Ro-Tel tomatoes with green chiles
· 1 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
· 1 teaspoon ground cumin
· 1 ½ cups sour cream
· 12-20 corn tortillas
· Cooking spray
· 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
· 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese
· Toppings of your preference: shredded lettuce, sliced avocado, salsa, shredded cheese, sour cream
1. If roasting own chicken, pre heat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Remove giblets and place 4-6 pound chicken in small roasting pan. Spray with cooking spray or pat dry and rub with butter. Salt and pepper generously.
3. Roast chicken for 20-25 minutes per pound or until juices run clear.
4. Shred meat of rotisserie chicken or roasted chicken and set aside.
5. Increase oven to 350 degrees F.
6. To avoid corn tortillas from cracking while preparing enchiladas they must be softened. Spray each side lightly with cooking spray and lay on baking sheet. Do not overlap. Bake in oven for 2-3 minutes until soft.
7. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive or vegetable oil in large pan over medium heat. Add onion except for reserved ½ cup and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often until soft. Remove and set aside.
8. Place remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the same pan. Add remaining onion and cook until soft. Add drained chiles, Ro-Tel with the juice and cumin. Cook until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add sour cream.
9. Fill tortillas with chicken, onion and pepper mixture, and cheeses. Roll up and place side by side in 13x9 - inch baking dish. Pour the sauce over enchiladas. Bake, uncovered, until sauce bubbles 25-30 minutes. You may also assemble a day ahead and bake the next day. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes to heat through.
10. Remove from oven and let rest 20 minutes. Serve with toppings of your preference.